Thursday, February 22, 2018

52 Ancestors Week 2: Reflecting Upon Grandma Jessie Mae and The Cross



The Cross in front of New Covenant Christian Worship Center
Photo Taken by Patrice Hopkins, November 2016
As I am learning day by day along my Christian walk and every day walk of life I am reminded of the cross I must bear and would not be the person I am today without it! This picture to the left is of the wooden cross which stands in front of the church where I currently serve as pastor in Hollywood, Maryland. This photo was taken by Patrice Hopkins, a church member and avid photographer with a keen eye. But what the image reminds me of is it's symbolism and pure meaning of faith. Faith is and has been a big part of my life since I can remember and I owe my upbringing to and involvement in church to my family. And for that, I am forever grateful for the Ancestors.


For many, a fond memory is Mom's cooking, Mom's nurturing, the family dinners and playing with cousins. It could also be family travels and meeting new family members you may only see once and never again or even seeing new places. But for me, one memory that stands out is the cross. The cross represents a symbol of faith, perseverance, troubles, accomplishments, and triumphs. The cross also reminds me of my Christian journey which aligns with my purpose in life and the Ancestors.

I refer to my Ancestors a lot and I thank them a lot because I feel chosen and set apart by them in every aspect of my family's history and my research journey, but more importantly because of my faith and commitment to serve others. Service to others comes naturally and I feel it has been passed down from generation to generation in my family. My Mother serves others to the full extent and she ask for nothing in return because that is a part of her makeup, her bloodline, and her persona. Her siblings also serve others and without question, and that all was passed down from the generation before them through my Grandmother, Jessie Mae. Grandmomma still is remembered to this day as the community mother, the faithful church member, and the apple of our eye as the family's matriarch. She lived a full life and in her life's work, service to others was at the center of her core.

So what does the cross and Grandma Jessie Mae have in common? Well for me, EVERYTHING! The cross is a representation of my faith in God and a reminder of the cross I bear daily spiritually, physically, and in remembrance of the Ancestors. My mother ensured I was involved in our family's church and that is because my Grandma Jessie Mae ensure her children were raised in the church. Many may not understand and that's ok, but church is a part of our makeup and a big part of our faith in God and knowing through him all things are possible if you only believe! Thank you Grandmomma for always reminding us to trust God in EVERYTHING!

This week my family and I celebrated our matriarch's 89th birthday by remembering her spirit, her tenacity, and her love for her family. Grandma Jessie Mae was born February 19, 1929 and every year since her passing, my mother and her sisters commemorate her birthday celebration with her favorite foods, fun conversation, and cherishing the memories by retelling the many funny stories we all remember. It is one of our favorite times of the year as we are reminded of the love in our family and our faith in God. It is the cross we bear and our cup is running over!

I'm grateful for this time of remembrance and for being reminded to continue my journey as it is the cross I must bear.

Humbly submitted,

Dante' Eubanks

No comments:

Post a Comment